[Sidefx-houdini-list] meshing pattern

Ben Schrijvers ben.schrijvers at guerrilla-games.com
Mon Jul 14 12:20:54 EDT 2008

herman02 wrote:
> hi all, i'm exploring the houdini capacity in meshing pattern for polygon, seems to me there are limitations-
>
> 1. when i use the "divide" sop for a polygon box,  divide>smooth polygon>weight.... since i want to have a variation for the "weight" apply to different surface of the box, i tried to type in expression like $PT+... , however, houdini do not allow me to do so. I then tried to use attribcreate for the "weight",still do not work.

Take a look at PolyBevel as well.

> 2. since all the lines are straight in a polygon meshing, is there any way to select individual lines to make it as a curve?  i tried to isolate the edge and make it polyspline, however i cannot merge it back to the original surface to be part of the primitive divisions. Please see here- http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3275/2667414067_9ecd4d2426_o.jpg

Maybe you can use a Resample Sop. Set it to "resample by polygon edge".
Then use a Fuse Sop as the resample has split up the polygons.
If you now use a Smooth Sop you will get curved lines on your box.

> 3. when i use "divide">convex polygons or "tristrip" sop, is there any way to control the trianglation directions at selected primitives?

The reverse sop will reverse the vertex ordering within a polygon.
Triangles in my quick test do flip after the reverse.
 What I once did was triangulate twice. I believe I rotated the polygon
90 degrees around it own normal to calculate the alternative triangulation.
Then I calculated the area on both and used the smallest area. But this
was because I wanted a convex as possible mesh.
Not sure if you can define a rule for the reason that you want a
particular triangle solution.