[Sidefx-houdini-list] computing world space velocity

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 23:32:12 EDT 2008

I was also thinking that you might investigate the Object Position
DOP, to import the objects' positions directly into DOPs, then Apply
Data onto the "static" objects. That way the velocity is "native" in
DOPs rather than calculated on points. I have no idea if this is
appropriate for your scene though :)

I do what Rangi does, if I need world space velocities etc, Object
Merge them in then use that as the source for all subsequent work. I
usually hide the original objects too (just turn off the Display flag)
to avoid confusion.

This has some additional advantage in that if you change your source
objects, there is a single operator that needs updating (the Object
Merge) which can have a note attached for other artists etc.

I know little about Maya (except some of the API, strangely) so I
can't help with comparisons. I do agree with Rangi's observations in
this area too though.

Cheers,

Peter B