[Sidefx-houdini-list] computing world space velocity

Rangi Sutton rangi at kanuka.com.au
Wed Jul 9 23:21:56 EDT 2008

Michael O'Brien wrote:
> Hola~

Gudday.

In both those cases I object merge into another static object with the
transform object set to "..", and use that to calculate v /and/ provide
the source for your simulations. That way the position and v attributes
are both in world space and it will make sense. You would contain your
POP network in this new object, or import back your dops here. You
therefore wouldn't want this object to have the transforms on it, or you
will get double transforms.

> It seems strange to me that you can't compute the velocity of an object
> without creating a scope outside of that object. To me, trail should have
> some sort of option that tells it to compute velocity on something that is
> manipulated by OBJ transforms.

I think that behaviour would encourage the mix of object/world space
attributes described.

> This is one of those things that just works in Maya. In Maya, I tell it to
> inherit velocity, and I don't have to go back and compute the velocity by
> hand. In Maya most values are available in both local and world space. As
> someone who is trying to transition to using Houdini, it's really difficult
> to grok.

The object / world space differentiation in Houdini is something that's
a bit difficult to at first, and when I'm introducing someone to Houdini
it's something I try to cover as early as possible. Just because it's
difficult to grok doesn't make it a bad thing. Once you do grok it, it
is both powerful and usable. In Maya I always found the lack of easily
switching spaces do be problematic in complicated scenes. But then I
haven't touched it for a while... maybe it is a better way to do things now.

Yes.. Houdini you often have to do some trivial steps by hand.. but I
find that also gives you loads more control when what you're trying to
achieve isn't trivial.

r.