[Sidefx-houdini-list] OT: sRGB to linear question

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Wed Jul 9 11:37:45 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 08 July 2008 18:30, jiversen wrote:
> The basic rule for Nuke is that if the image is an HDR format  like
> .hdr, .exr (floating point format), Nuke assumes it is already in linear
> space.  If it's an LDR format (.jpg, .tiff, etc) it assumes its not in
> linear space and linearizes it for you. The good thing is that it's
> right there in the File node to change how Nuke treats it.
>
> This is a fair workflow, I think.

	Well, this ain't the place to discuss Nuke and it finally having a clear way
to set it up properly ;), but I don't agree as far as this being a suggestion
for a good way to work(as in COPs).  This is one of those things that I agree
is fast and practical, but for me crosses the boundary of making sense to
someone coming in new.  I hate the notion of assumptions being made, and the
critical(IMHO) mistake they made with the GUI is to have the popup
say "Default".  You had no way of telling what 'default' was!  Bad
design...should have the actual format displayed, and bold the default.

	Again, just in terms of a potential COPs implementation...:P

> It would be a good thing to be able to have all texture()/colormap() VEX
> calls have explicit support for converting from sRGB to linear space,
> and expose this to all VOPs and COPs- and possibly also the tex() and
> pic() expressions too, etc.  At DD our Texture VOP had a toggle to
> linearize sRGB images and it worked well.

	... but yeah I agree with that.  :)

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada