[Sidefx-houdini-list] OT: sRGB to linear question

Andy Walker Andy.Walker at framestore.com
Tue Jul 8 10:03:29 EDT 2008

Here's a couple of good links...

http://softimage.wiki.avid.com/index.php/Gamma,_Linear_Color_Space_and_HDR

http://www.xsi-blog.com/archives/133#comments
Cheers,

Andy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Lewkiw" <Sean.Lewkiw at CIS-London.com>
To: sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
Sent: Tuesday, 8 July, 2008 9:51:32 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [Sidefx-houdini-list] OT: sRGB to linear question

A question then... let's say I want an object that is a nice purply blue
at the top and a greenish orange at the bottom. In one render I achieve
this using point colours. In another I achieve exactly the same thing
using an sRGB image I downloaded off the interweb. How is the one
derived from the sRGB image any worse or less accurate than the one
derived from the point colours? Both final renders are linear.

I'm not trying to be provocative, just trying to get an understanding of
this whole thing.

Sean

--
Sean Lewkiw