[Sidefx-houdini-list] HDK: Parallel processing? multi processing?

Tamis tamis.vanderlaan at bisc.nl
Wed Jul 2 10:30:08 EDT 2008

Hey people,

I am a beginner programmer and i am playing around with the Houdini HDK.

I have a question and it might sound stupid and i am probably not using
the right terminology for what i am asking about but here i go...

I am building my own little volume sampler to convert normal geometry
into volumes.
I know Houdini can already do this for me but i believe by doing this i
can gather allot of knowledge.

My algorithm is extremely simple so don't laugh :P
1. Loop threw all primitives for each voxol.
2. Find the closest primitive to the current voxol.
3. Dot product between primitive normal and normalized(voxol position -
primitive position)
4. if <=0 then voxol density == 1;

Now although there are some unresolved issues this seams to do the
trick.
The problem with this is is that it's a very slow process.
So what i was wondering is: can i use the same kind of processing vex
uses?(Parallel processing??)
That is instead of letting 1 CPU loop threw all the voxols, divide the
voxols between multiple CPU's and process it in parallel.

I have no idea how to do this? Is there a generic way of doing this in C
++ for any application one would write?
Or is there some sort of way to let Houdini handle this?

I thank you for your patience, Tamis van der Laan