[Sidefx-houdini-list] Clear market feedback with RFE

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Thu Jan 31 14:55:55 EST 2008

	Here's a list that speaks for itself.  I sort of consider Houdini a little
bit like Vim - extremely well respected by a lot of very capable users, but
sometimes a little intimidating to new users.  Not to take the analogy too
far, because I think vim can be downright archaic at the best of times and
no-one wants Houdini to be *hard* to learn.  However, look at this list:

http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php

	This is from users that were willing to *pay* to vote, not just anyone.  Look
at many of the top entries on the list.  These suggestions would completely
bloat and ruin Vim, removing the things that make it good in the first place.
They're not all bad, but some of the most popular would turn Vim into Emacs,
basically. They are 'most popular requests'.  As Ivan correctly pointed out -
popularity lists amongst users is not the right path to making software
better.  As also pointed out, it doesn't *hurt* to collect
information(although all this talk about getting someone to donate their time
comes with a big assumption that someone will take on that formidible task),
but it's disheartening to me to hear all this talk about popularity contests
for RFEs.

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada