[Sidefx-houdini-list] Clear market feedback with RFE

François Duchesneau sidefx at trinix.ca
Thu Jan 31 12:41:21 EST 2008

What motivated this suggestion I guess is more to help the community to
have a clear idea of what they want and indirectly SideFx but also to
educate a growing community and make them feel to be part of the
community. Here's two scenarios.

1- A rather new person to the Houdini world does an RFE that ask for
something not realy useful for 98% of the community. Let's say that's
something he's using all the time in an other software. He will discover
that either nobody vote for it or even better people vote -1 and explain
why it's not good to have that implement in Houdini and maybe suggest
how he can do that a  better way. This RFE will be considered solved
before even reaching SideFx and that potential customer will not
complain because he will understand and even if he doesn't he won't
blame SideFx.

In this scenario, if other users coming from the same other software
want that feature, they won't probably ask it anymore based on votes and
comments from experienced users.

2- A user ask for something direclty to SideFx but for some reasons they
don't believe it's useful for the average user. In the RFE public list
they might discover in fact that a lot of people would love to have that
tiny feature. I mean how can they know currently? They don't call every
studio to ask: "hey would you like to have that in Houdini".

I must admit I'm not sure about the best way to implement that so it
doesn't become like an RFE forum. Probably the best is that everyone is
allowed to emmit only one comment per RFE (no reply) and be able to
update it if he changes his mind or if he wants to be more convincing.

Now, I agree so much with the following...

a good quote from a successful innovator:
"What the customer demands is last year's model, cheaper. To find out
what the
customer needs you have to understand what the customer is doing as well
as he
understands it. Then you build what he needs and you educate him to the fact
that he needs it."

... but if SideFx keep going with this concept in mind and only take the
RFE list as a market survey, they'll never become like the other
softwares we don't like to use anymore.

François