[Sidefx-houdini-list] Clear market feedback with RFE

Robert Magee rmagee at sidefx.com
Thu Jan 31 10:03:12 EST 2008

Certainly Side Effects bases most of our product decisions on customer
feedback and many times on production needs of specific customers. There
is also a look at "what's next" because innovation is important to us
and all of this is wrapped around the desire to make Houdini accessible
to artists while retaining the power that makes it perfect for TDs.

It would be fantastic to see some sort of RFE list created at odForce
where the community is the only filter for the ideas. This would help us
prioritize things at Side Effects based on your needs and would allow
more discussion in the community on what is most important. Of course
not everything on the list will make it because there may be other
issues that affect which features can be added.

One idea would be to give each user 100 "RFE dollars" to use throughout
the life cylce of a version. If you really want a feature then you must
spend some of your RFE dollars. The most important RFEs will receive the
most dollars. This is of course similar the issue we face which is to
decide how much time and resources we apply to any newfeature. Once Side
Effects releases a new version then everyone gets 100 more dollars and a
new list is born.

Of course Side Effects could host this as well but it sounds like
something that should be at arms length to be truly representative of
the communities wishes.

Robert

--
Robert Magee