[Sidefx-houdini-list] 2k film res

Ivan DeWolf ivan at martian-labs.com
Wed Jan 30 12:41:25 EST 2008

2048 X 1556 academy full-ap is very very common.
Often, the center of the frame is used, and the portions above and below the
1.85 lines are thrown away, although it usually is rendered. SOmetimes they use
that portion of the image when they do a video transfer after the theatrical
release.
4k is very rare; sometimes certain elements are rendered at 4k for extra
crispness, then down-resed to 2k at composite, with final delivery at 2k.
unless it's an IMAX show.

Quoting Larry Giunta <larry at gcreativestudios.com>:

> Hello all.
>
> A quick question for any of you guys and gals that have some
> experience producing work at film res.
>
> We're just starting to work out technical specs on a motion graphics
> job that needs to be delivered
> in 1080 HD and also 2k film res. Client is unclear about the exact 2k
> specs at the moment, but has tossed
> out 2048 x 1108 for a 1.85 aspect ration as a possibility.
>
> I see 3 default options in houdini
> Acad 2k ( 2048 x 1556)
>
> Scope 2k (1828 x1556)
>
> Vista 2k (3072 2048)
>
> Just wondering if any of these are considered more common or more
> "standard"  above the other options.
> The end product would be an ID to play before various films and shows
> etc, so I'm simply try to get a bit educated
> on the most commonly used 2k formats.
>
> There has also been talk about delivering at 4k. But through a bit of
> research so far it's looking like
> 4k would be overkill for this type of projects?? Is that an accurate
> assumption ...... or would it make a big
> difference??
>
> Thanks for any thoughts, As always, any advice would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Larry
>
> --
> Larry Giunta