[Sidefx-houdini-list] [HOM] Particle type definition

Andras Ikladi andras.ikladi at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 10:03:53 EST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 3:28 PM, Gene Dreitser <keyframe at rogers.com> wrote:

> You know,   I distinctly remember reading this thread thinking, "wow,
> that's a great idea..." but...
>
> What is the significance of a convert sop being able to convert a point
> cloud to particle system?
>
> Your intention is probably to use the point cloud as a starting point for
> a particle sim on frame n, which is all good, but what would happend to your
> sim when the convert sop convert your point cloud to a particle sim at frame
> n+1, and so on and so forth, for every subsequent frame?
>
> The problem as I see it is that the convert sop will continue to muck with
> your source on frames other then the one you are after.
>
> Am I totally misreading the situation?

There can be certain occasions when it's handy, but that's true that they
most of those I can think of arise in a non-interactive situation. For
example what I'm doing now is generating points from a file, and it's true I
would generate particles straight away (if there was such a class
implemented in HOM). Or friend of mine implemented a fluid solver as a SOP
node (for now) and they also had to "cast" the output point cloud to a
particle type to be able to draw it in the viewport, instead of just
appending a convert sop temporarily.

Anyways, if you follow a toolkit kind of approach, it might make sense to
make it available as a GUI function. It wouldn't take too much effort to
implement it (in a naive way) as it isn't a lot more complicated than the
snippet I posted earlier.

cheers,
Andras