[Sidefx-houdini-list] python expressions... how we doing?

Darran Edmundson darran at edmstudio.com
Thu Jan 24 18:56:03 EST 2008

Rangi Sutton wrote:
> Thanks for the insight Peter. Seems like uniformly using python for
> expressions is an ideal, but the speed hit constructing the expressions,
> and the speed hit evaluating them will keep 'em out of our hips for a while.
>
> Anyone from sidefx care to comment on this issue? The manual suggests it
> is a replacement, is it too early to swallow that pill?

Don't know but I'd love to leverage my python skills in houdini ...

Here's a simple expression problem.  In a ROP, I'd to do the python
equivalent of $HIP/XXX.img$F4.tga where XXX is either win32 or linux
(i.e., sys.platform).

More generally, how do you handle module imports in one-line
expressions?  In the above example, you'd need to "import sys" before
having access to sys.platform.

Cheers,
Darran

--