[Sidefx-houdini-list] New to Linux, Install Help

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 06:12:46 EST 2008

2008/1/23, Rangi Sutton <rangi at kanuka.com.au>:

> Linux and Houdini face the same problem... being out of the main stream.
> Ubuntu is very much addressing that. Houdini could fight on the same
> front. A lot of effort is being put into improving the interface. The
> installer is the first bit of interface you see. First impressions?

I am agree with Rangi, I think that you have very good tools in Lunux  for
software package management.
SESI can implement the rpm and deb process into the build system, you only
need to  crreate very generic packages, don't put to much dependencies on
it, or better don't put dependencies so the package will install everywhere.
Once the rpm and deb creaation are into the build process you can create
packages automatically after compiling any new version, easy and clean, and
give people a better way to install/mantein their houdini installs.
I have used Houdini deb packages in production a couple of times, once you
get it the installation and maitance of the software is so easy ...
You can distribute tar, 7z, rpm, deb ... and everybody can choose their way.

--

Un saludo
Best Regards