[Sidefx-houdini-list] python expressions... how we doing?

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 03:05:04 EST 2008

Hey Rangi,

First off, can't help you :)

Second, I've been getting into Python for scripting stuff, like the
Hython shell, and the cookbook is great for that. Just the solid
string manipulation and the "unexpandedString()" function make it all
worthwhile :)

However, from what I've seen, the Python use in Expressions isn't as
great, because you have to type WAY too much stuff and also because
Python is a lot slower than custom Hscript expressions.

We're continuing to use Hscript expressions (custom or otherwise)
while moving to Python to replace scripting in Hscript. I don't see
that changing anytime soon, mainly due to speed issues as very often a
custom expression runs loops, or gets evaluated many times per frame
on multiple operators.

However, to be fair, because of the lack of Cookbook examples, I
haven't done extensive testing so this might be better in 9.1 but I
don't have time to learn it without the examples ;)

Cheers,

Peter B