[Sidefx-houdini-list] New to Linux, Install Help

Rangi Sutton rangi at kanuka.com.au
Wed Jan 23 00:10:23 EST 2008

John Coldrick wrote:
> On Monday 21 January 2008 23:26, Rangi Sutton wrote:
>
>> installing stuff in their $HOME)... is installing houdini ala:
>>  > sudo apt-get install houdini
>>

> 	Only practical if you're running apt-get in your distro.
I'm just seeing which way the wind is blowing at the moment. Every "I
wanna try linux, which linux distro should I start from" thread or
conversation I've been a party to has concluded debian based,
particularly Ubuntu. Of course I'm a bit biased. I never asked for an
rpm for houdini when I was using rpm distros because really they were a
PITA any which way. And I would never suggest sesi stop distributing the
tarballs.

> Honestly, whether a
> tar or a 7zip, it really couldn't be all that much easier.  You just need to
> know two things:

> 	Sorry, it just seems like the Big Dumbing Down syndrome again.

I'm not asking for bigger buttons. I'm suggesting that standards are
considered. Most quality piece of FOSS is distributed / installed /
upgraded / uninstalled using a particularly successful mechanism. My
distro proxy server is not a dumb piece of stuff. Very clever in fact.
My software/houdini/64bit_debian/ directory on the server is pretty dumb.

I just installed you're colour scheme (thanking you) with a few clicks.
Sidefx had to invent that stuff. Here they just need to adopt a well
documented standard.

Linux and Houdini face the same problem... being out of the main stream.
Ubuntu is very much addressing that. Houdini could fight on the same
front. A lot of effort is being put into improving the interface. The
installer is the first bit of interface you see. First impressions?

Anyway.. I'm certainly not expecting this to happen... just rambling.

Beers
r,