[Sidefx-houdini-list] renderman raytrace shadows

Mark Elendt mark at sidefx.com
Mon Jan 21 10:45:31 EST 2008

On Monday Jan 21 at 15:28, Phil Spicer wrote:
> This does not work (at least in my case). I am using H9.0.782, and
> receive the following shell errors when I try to implement renderman
> raytrace shadows:
>
> Z10003 {WARNING} Shaders invoke raytracing, but no traceabl
> e objects exist. [<Shading>  Object:'/obj/platonic_object1/
> shopnet1/material1'  Shader:'asad_light']
>
> P80005 {ERROR}   Parameterlist type mismatch in RIB stream.
>  (at line 218 in stdin)
>
> Any thoughts?

The "default" value for the transmission visibility attribute is false
(meaning that by default objects aren't visible to shadow rays).

When rendering from the "View: RenderMan", you're getting the default
values.

If you put down an output driver, the creation script *should* set the
transmission visibility to on by default.  This is inherited by all
object.

So, if this still isn't working, check the value of the
ri_visibletransmission parameter on the output driver (or add it to
objects).

Ditto for ri_visiblespecular.

There was a bug fixed very recently with ri_visiblediffuse, when used
in conjunction with the indirectdiffuse() shade-op.  It's just a minor
bug though, and would affect performance rather than behaviour.