[Sidefx-houdini-list] Help With hou Module

Robert Thomas shinyary2 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 18:54:14 EST 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to set up a Python script that will automatically add a spare
parameter to a folder called "Spare" on the current operator, both as an
exercise and as something to speed up my workflow, but I keep running up
against the incomplete documentation for the "hou" module.  So, I've been
trying to reverse engineer everything that is not documented, and it's slow
going.

My current problem is that I cannot seem to create a default parmTemplate
object (since, naturally, there happens to be no constructor for that
class--and of course no documentation).  My approach is to create one of
these and add it to the node using the "addSpareParmTuple()" function, which
appears to work the way I want it to if I extract the parmTemplate of an
already existing parameter.

Incidentally, I'm not sure how to reference folders, so I don't know how to
stuff my new parameter into a folder using this function.

Help!

Thanks,

Robby