[Sidefx-houdini-list] no audio playback w/suse 10.2 KDE

Lisa Reynolds lisa at red3d.com
Thu Jan 17 01:01:41 EST 2008

I *finally* got this working. It seems like Houdini is using the OSS
server which isn't supported on my machine. I found a wrapper called
aoss which teaches OSS applications how to play nice with ALSA. Once
I used it I got full sound out of Houdini.

In the hfs bin directory there is a script called
"startupScriptLINUX" where I changed the last line

from: exec $0-bin "$@"
to: exec aoss $0-bin "$@"

I'm not sure if this is the best place to make this change, but it
worked and now I'm a happy camper.

This is an example of why I *really* want SESI to create an OS X
native version of Houdini. I get so tired of spending hours trying to
configure tablets, soundcards, drivers, etc.. I can run every
application I need or want on Mac OS X except Houdini.

-Lisa