[Sidefx-houdini-list] New to Linux, Install Help

Peter Robbinson probbins at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 15 12:43:58 EST 2008

I'm wondering if the problem for new users has to do with the command
line installation process.
Specifically the step where you choose to install houdini and the
license software. Perhaps they are
installing the license software each time and that is causing trouble.

Anyways, I've been using Ubuntu for some time now, and using sudo and
have encounter no problems with the install.
So here are my steps.

Move the downloaded software to /opt

- sudo tar -zxvf houdini.XXXX  ( for Ubuntu 7.04 32bit, it's the gcc3.4
version, for 7.10 64bit, it's gcc4.1)

- go into the installation directory

- sudo ./install.houdini

I say yes in the appropriate places, but I don't install the server
software, since I've done that already.

Once the install is done I go into the installed directory, looks like
hfs9.1.xxx

- source houdini_setup_bash  (Ubuntu uses the bash shell by default)

Go to the directory where I want to launch houdini and do so.

Done.

regards, Peter