[Sidefx-houdini-list] New to Linux, Install Help

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 12:17:26 EST 2008

2008/1/15, John Coldrick <jc at axyzfx.com>:

> On Monday 14 January 2008 17:33, Andrew D Lyons wrote:
> > We have someone here having troubles on an ubuntu build as well. This
> > license process does sounds like it could do with some
> > "enhancement"...
>
>         Everything I've been reading in this(and other) threads has been
> related to a
> lack of understanding of Linux and the recommended process for installing
> an
> application.  IMHO this is an offshoot of the whole 'sudo' crap with
> Ubuntu -
> it aims itself at an inexperienced user and fails to instill the proper
> process.  The houdini installer works just fine.

I am agree with you john, except in your critic to the  Ubuntu way of
implementing "root".
I have installed Houdini many times in ubuntu systems as sudo without
problems.
For me  is easier  and cleaner  for a final user.
But obviously if somebody expects to have the same permissions when running
a process with special  user than running it with a regular user is his own
problem.
Is a problem of not uderstanding the os (Win and mac do things in a similar
way).
Anyway I think that a graphical install program, as long as, the usual text
based install process will be very handy for those people not so familiar
with unix.

        If you install as root, and you stuff it in your home directory, you
> would
> expect permissions to be wrong.  You should *not* be installing
> applications
> in your $HOME as a rule.  If you ran as root, you will have permissions to
> install in the default directory - /opt/hfsxx.xx.xx.  This would also
> install
> the licensing in /usr/lib/sesi, with only root acess - again as it should.
> This is likely the reason for all the confusion - trying to install the
> app
> in $HOME, doing it as an end user instead of root, this would not work
> properly installing the licensing.
>
>         You run the licensing (hkey) as root(using sudo on Ubuntu, I
> imagine).
>
>         J.C.
>
> --
> John Coldrick                  www.axyzfx.com        Axyz Animation
> 416-504-0425                                         477 Richmond St W
>                                                      Toronto, ON Canada
> jc at axyzfx.com                                        M5V 3E7

Un saludo
Best Regards