[Sidefx-houdini-list] New to Linux, Install Help

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Tue Jan 15 09:14:58 EST 2008

On Monday 14 January 2008 17:33, Andrew D Lyons wrote:
> We have someone here having troubles on an ubuntu build as well. This
> license process does sounds like it could do with some
> "enhancement"...

	Everything I've been reading in this(and other) threads has been related to a
lack of understanding of Linux and the recommended process for installing an
application.  IMHO this is an offshoot of the whole 'sudo' crap with Ubuntu -
it aims itself at an inexperienced user and fails to instill the proper
process.  The houdini installer works just fine.

	If you install as root, and you stuff it in your home directory, you would
expect permissions to be wrong.  You should *not* be installing applications
in your $HOME as a rule.  If you ran as root, you will have permissions to
install in the default directory - /opt/hfsxx.xx.xx.  This would also install
the licensing in /usr/lib/sesi, with only root acess - again as it should.
This is likely the reason for all the confusion - trying to install the app
in $HOME, doing it as an end user instead of root, this would not work
properly installing the licensing.

	You run the licensing (hkey) as root(using sudo on Ubuntu, I imagine).

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada