[Sidefx-houdini-list] Maya API access to "sets"?

François Duchesneau sidefx at trinix.ca
Tue Jan 15 08:03:46 EST 2008

Hi Peter, I've never done plug-in using "sets" but if you're using
"getMembers" from MFnSet, it gives you a MSelectionList. From that you
could filter and keep what is only points for example to create a
Houdini point group.

Have you done your proof of concept only with Mel first? I'm sure it's
very easy with mel. In addition you'll notice that sometimes with Maya
plug-in you have to use mel command call inside it, more when you want
to create objects, but it happens. In that case though if there's
nothing an API that allows you to filter points, faces etc, you could
use C++ directly to check whether the returned object contains
".vtx[*]". There's probably something more efficient but it's just an idea.

I found that main speed improvement of api over mel is parsing loops so
you can also create the query in mel inside the plug-in that gives you
an array that can be parsed quickly to write to file in C++. This is
possible with MFnCommandResult and MFnCommand I think.

François