[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini on a Mac.. again

Andras Ikladi andras.ikladi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 02:14:42 EST 2008

Hi Rangi,

> I know this has been discussed, but figure it's worth asking fresh. How
> have people gone with running Houdini on their macs?

My experience is based on two generations of MBP under both 64bit Linux
(Ubuntu and Gentoo) and 32bit XP (please note that XP64 doesn't have drivers
provided, so it can only be run in a virtual machine for now..it's not
likely to change).
My only real problem is the lack of a (forward) delete standalone key, but
this can be emulated with Fn+Backspace (bit annoying sometimes). Otherwise
even managed to switch on intercept mode in CHOPs (Scroll lock = Fn+F12)
This when talking about a nvidia based laptop. I also tried the older Ati
one once and although Houdini was running ok (on Windows) on that card, hkey
kept crashing on me (forced me to use no OGL acceleration while in hkey). It
was ok on Linux though..surprisingly as Ati was never really famous of their
Linux driver support of the consumer line.

> Have people got good results from bootcamp / parallels / VMWare? From my
> understanding you only get all procs firing under bootcamp, is that
> correct?

I'm not sure with core number > 2, but you can get dual cpu working under
vmWare.

Is there a way to run the same system image for bootcamp and
> virtualised? so I could get the best of both worlds. ie. reboot if I
> need performance, but run virtualised if I just need to quickly jump
> into linux?

On Windows, you can do this with both Vmware and Parallels easily (couple of
clicks on the host side and installing some drivers/tools in the guest
machine that doesn't really bother you when in Bootcamp mode but helps the
virtual machine manage the switch).
On Linux, I only use that in Bootcamp mode, so I'm not sure..maybe with a
bit of Linux hacking.

> Is Parallels better than VMWare or the other way around?

For this purpose, definitely vmware: none of them has OGL acceleration just
yet, but vmware can manage more cpus, more memory, 64bit Windows (this would
stop you from using Bootcamp though), you can get prebuilt appliances online
(if you just want to try couple of OSs or can't be arsed with installing
Ubuntu..etc).
I would check the peculiarities of Linux though.

Hope this sums it up together with the list archive (there is a topic on
odforce as well).

cheers,
Andras