[Sidefx-houdini-list] Recursive OTL search paths in h9?

Rangi Sutton rangi at kanuka.com.au
Thu Jan 10 23:16:52 EST 2008

Peter Bowmar wrote:
> Hey Rangi,
>
> The default in 9 is to ignore the OPlibraries file, but you can use
> the option in the Optype Manager to turn the old, and still very
> useful IMO, behaviour back on. So, when ignored, you'd have to add all
> your subdirs to the OTL_PATH path. This is perhaps more flexible
> because you could dynamically build the path on launch, and not have
> to edit OPlibraries files anymore.

Ah... Thanks Peter.

More experimenting is required. Seems I can't get the benefits of both
worlds.. ie. not maintaining an OPlibs and having lots of sub dirs of
assets.

Restricting the number of sub-directories and putting them *all* into
the HOUDINI_OTLSCAN_PATH is the way I'm going for the mean time.

Maybe when I know more what I'm talking about an option to recursively
search could become an RFE.

Or... I build up a sim-linking script/deamon thingo to create a flat dir
of all the otls in their sub dirs... hmm... ugly. But will probably end
up in place ;)

Cheers,
r.

--
Rangi Sutton                      Kanuka Studio Pty Ltd
rangi at kanuka.com.au               http://www.kanuka.com.au/