[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini on a Mac.. again

Rangi Sutton rangi at kanuka.com.au
Thu Jan 10 21:04:11 EST 2008

Hey folks,

I know this has been discussed, but figure it's worth asking fresh. How
have people gone with running Houdini on their macs?

I've a MacPro at home now which is a beast, and I'd love to run
apprentice on it. At the studio we're all kbuntu, so that's what I'd
like to install on it.

Have people got good results from bootcamp / parallels / VMWare? From my
understanding you only get all procs firing under bootcamp, is that correct?

It's mostly going to be running apps under OSX, with Apprentice used for
quick experiments, maybe some shader coding, so I'd like to run a
virtual machine, but haven't any experience in with them.

Is there a way to run the same system image for bootcamp and
virtualised? so I could get the best of both worlds. ie. reboot if I
need performance, but run virtualised if I just need to quickly jump
into linux?

Is Parallels better than VMWare or the other way around?

Cheers,
r.