[Sidefx-houdini-list] no audio playback w/suse 10.2 KDE

Lisa Reynolds lisa at red3d.com
Thu Jan 10 15:49:06 EST 2008

I'm not getting any audio playback either through the file setting or
the chop setting in the audio panel with H9.0.794 (64 bit) and
opensuse 10.2 using KDE. I can play the file fine outside of Houdini
via realplayer. The file is 16 bit 44.1 kHz. I can see the waveform
in my timeline, but don't hear anything when I play it. Another user
sent me some test files to try and I got the same results.  I'm
thinking this may be a KDE/Houdini interaction. I checked my KDE
settings and it mentions that it has complete control over the audio
system but can be set to relinquish control if it is idle. It is set
to do that after 5 seconds.

Does anyone using Suse 10.2 and KDE have audio playback working? Any
thoughts of what else I can check?