[Sidefx-houdini-list] New to Linux, Install Help

Monika Janek mjanek at sidefx.com
Tue Jan 8 22:17:23 EST 2008

Hi Justin,
Perhaps try reinstalling the software without sudo - do it as root.
Setup your root password: sudo passwd root
Then su into root (type su and then the new root password you setup).

Reinstall the software and make sure that /usr/lib/sesi gets created. You
won't be able to run the license server (therefore, the program) on your
machine.

In /usr/lib/sesi, you should see the following:

licenses.disabled
sesictrl
sesinetd
sesinetd.options
sesinetd_safe
sesinetd.startup
sesiusage

You can start the license server by typing:

/etc/init.d/sesinetd start

Then do a ps -ef and look for sesinetd to verify that it's running.

Once you've done this, start up houdini and it should bring you to the gui
to install non-commercial licenses.
Once you've installed licenses, a file called "licenses" will now appear
in /usr/lib/sesi.

Monika