[Sidefx-houdini-list] laptop

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Tue Jan 8 11:15:00 EST 2008

On Tuesday 08 January 2008 10:56, Peter Robbinson wrote:
> My new laptop is an HP. I needed something quick and portable. HP
> pavilion dv2500. A quarter of the weight of the acer, and being 4 years
> newer much faster.

	I snagged one of those recently too.  Unfortunately it came with Vista
32bit(despite being a 64 bit core 2 duo), which sucks incredibly.  I was told
by the salesman that installing XP64 was a bad idea because HP claims not all
the drivers for the hardware are backported to XP.  I'm not sure how much to
believe that since I dual boot it now with SUSE 10.2 and it works fine(and
SUSE runs a million miles more efficiently than vista).  I just cant be
bothered uninstalling vista at this point for how much I use it, but it
really is the worse OS ever.  They horribly screwed up - XP is pretty good.

	Anyway, yes, HP is making nice laptops now.  I was told to avoid the
following:  Dell, AMD cpus and any graphics card other than NVidia.  Be sure
to get Intel Core 2 Duos(both AMD and Intel have chosen deliberately
confusing cpu naming schemes for their laptop products to confuse non-tech
savvy users).

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada