[Sidefx-houdini-list] daily builds

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Mon Jan 7 08:08:44 EST 2008

On Saturday 05 January 2008 07:29, zoran arizanovic wrote:
> Hi
> I have one question how do you proceed organizing work with upcoming daily
> builds?
> Do you keep one production installed and then add daily ones?
>
> >From which build do you then do work /testing?

	It really depends on the size of your shop.  Peter B's suggestion is a
perfectly reasonable one, but here we don't do steenkin' reasonable.  :)
We're quite small, as a rule we've come to read the daily build logs, ummm,
daily, so we have a pretty good idea when it's worth upgrading, which we'll
do quite regularly, especially since fixes are coming fast and thick
nowadays.  When something busts, it might mean going back a day or two, we
keep those already installed and it's nothing more than a link change, but it
happens fairly rarely and since we're so small, it's even rarer that some
sort of damage has been done that means re-doing work.

	Of course this is perfectly stupid if you're a larger shop, I wouldn't
recommend it.  If you're small, and agile, you tend to get the most fixes the
fastest this way.  Now that the daily builds have colour coding, it makes
avoiding the really bad builds easier.  I've noticed we only get yellow
builds lately though.  Someone sending us a message?  ;)

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada