[Sidefx-houdini-list] quality settings for rendering fine hair

andy at methodstudios.com andy at methodstudios.com
Sat Feb 23 17:23:27 EST 2008

Hi Jerry
When I render fur with mantra I use deep shadows (called transparent
shadows in H9). These will take much longer to compute and you can get
away with lower resolutions. Depending on how big my object is when
looking through the light I use a resolution of 512 for previewing and 2k
for renders. I have pixel samples on 3x3 for the shadow maps and 8x8 in
the mantra render tab. You should check the bias of the shadows. If you
object is huge you might need to increase from the default 0.05  - I only
get this setting right through experimenting.
Of cause do a render with no shadows and if you still have buzzing then
you know it's something else!

good luck
Andy