[Sidefx-houdini-list] RSL vops for houdini

Andrew D Lyons tstexture at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 13:29:55 EST 2008

Hi,

We're looking at ways to incorporate a PRman shading pipeline with Houdini.

We'd like to procedurally build a suite of mid-level rsl VOPs
(specular, reflection, shadow etc) from an RSL code base, and build
larger uber shaders out of those. That way we can use the VOP HDA
mechanism to update sections of shader code. We're looking for a tight
integration of rsl with materials and Houdini in general (given that
we use Houdini for all surfacing and lighting.)

So far we haven't had much luck on procedural VOP UI building for rsl
vops. We're looking at vcc -m and even the HDK. We've scoured all
documentation, odforce etc without luck. My current understanding is
that there is no good way to rebuild RSL VOPs from a code base without
hand building UI.

I'm guessing that other studios have some reasonably elegant way to
work with RSL, so I'm looking for any ideas people might have to
share.

Cheers