[Sidefx-houdini-list] transferring DOP field data to point attributes?

Stephen Gustafson sgustafso at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 05:50:47 EST 2008

Hey guys. I'm working my way through some of the new fluids features in
dops, and right now I'm trying to get a good handle on how to pull out
field data from DOPs and transfer it to points back in SOPs.
I've already seen that I can check the 'show guide geometry' options on
various visualization features of the fluidobject HDA, and use a dopimport
to pull some of that data into sop-land. But, let's say that I wanted to
get ahold of more data that's not exposed on that HDA (pressure comes to
mind).
Let's also say that I've already used the File DOP to bake out my sim, and
I really don't want to bake again (though, just to note: for some reason,
there's still a lot of extra cooking that goes on through the file dop -
it seems like it's reading every save .sim file from previous frames
instead of just going straight to and loading the frame it's on!). The
data is already there: I can dopimport pressure, and see the data present
in a volume.

So the big question: Is there an easy way to transfer that volume data to
my fluid mesh just through SOPs? Or if I have to work through field
visualizations in dops (transferring their contents to sops), can I add
new visualizations on top of a File DOP node, so as to get all of the viz
data without rebaking my sim (if I have to change the dop network before
the file dop, obviously that's going to call for a resim)?

I'm not having much success either way. But I may just be overlooking
something simple.

Thanks
~Stephen Gustafson