[Sidefx-houdini-list] volumetrics: was Re: random fur scale

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 19:58:30 EST 2008

2008/2/12, Ivan DeWolf <ivan at martian-labs.com>:

> Quoting Pablo Giménez <pablogipi at gmail.com>:
>

> > And yes the volumetric stuff is more times faster now with the new
> metaballs
> > functions for VEX but still very very slow compared with soutions like
> Fume.
> >

> Fume? wazzat? know anything about the algorithm they use? anybody familiar
> with
> what's going on under the hood in Fume?

Fume:
http://www.afterworks.com/FumeFX.asp
Basically is a plugin for 3D Studio Max, yes again  I know. But is really
really good.
I don't know the algorithms it uses I know it uses caches as a revious pass
for the render and is complitely integrate into the render infraestructure
in max.
Uses an stand alone volume renderer to create the needed datat for the
renderer, but is so fast and the interaction with the user is so good, with
fast previews for sketching the simulations, work with global illumination,
fast shdaow maps, multiscatering, man is so far compared with the current
houdini solutions for volumetrics in terms of speed, quality and user
friendly.
The only problem: is for 3D Studio Max that I really don't like.

-Ivan

Un saludo
Best Regards
Pablo Giménez