[Sidefx-houdini-list] random fur scale

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 19:14:59 EST 2008

2008/2/12, Fred Valleur <fred.valleur at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> a CVex shader is called from a compiled  C++ dso (or dll on windows). It
> is
> written in VEX and let you modify data used by the compiled plugin. It
> offers great flexibility as you don't have to "hard-code" everything in
> C++.
> The fur SOP/Geometry shader  is a good example to look at. The hair
> generation and memory allocation is handled by the C++ plugin, but it
> calls
> two CVex Shaders that can modify hair/points attribute to change the look
> of
> the fur.

I am guessing here but ... maybe this can be used to speedup volumetrics, do
all the raymarching hard stuff in C++, more times faster than VEX, and use
VEX only to modify every step sample.
The raymarching loop and some fancy adaptative step formula can be done in
c++, only guessing.

This way, you can write your own kink/frizz funtions in VEX  and let the C++
> code handle the "low level" hair generation.
>
> Hope this makes it a bit clearer,
>
> Cheers,
>
> Fred.
>
> --
> Frederic Valleur | LaMaison
>

> >Hi guys,
>
> >Sorry to hijack. Could someone just quickly explain what a CVEX shader
> is?
> >Not heard of this before. I take it it's different from a VEX shader? Is
> >is a compiled version? What situations would you use it for?
>
> >Thanks
>
> >Andy

Un saludo
Best Regards