[Sidefx-houdini-list] random fur scale

Fred Valleur fred.valleur at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 19:06:42 EST 2008

Hi,

a CVex shader is called from a compiled  C++ dso (or dll on windows). It is
written in VEX and let you modify data used by the compiled plugin. It
offers great flexibility as you don't have to "hard-code" everything in C++.
The fur SOP/Geometry shader  is a good example to look at. The hair
generation and memory allocation is handled by the C++ plugin, but it calls
two CVex Shaders that can modify hair/points attribute to change the look of
the fur.
This way, you can write your own kink/frizz funtions in VEX  and let the C++
code handle the "low level" hair generation.

Hope this makes it a bit clearer,

Cheers,

Fred.

--