[Sidefx-houdini-list] OTL available only in one file

François Duchesneau sidefx at trinix.ca
Sat Feb 9 11:26:04 EST 2008

Mantra recognizes env variables if I do the substitution myself.

What I meant by remote is not on the same network but a complete
different environment. I work from home and my project path is the same
as the client. For that reason if I send him an ifd file it won't work.
However if the ifd file is generated from the client location then it's
fine.

An other reason why I'd like to refer to env var is because Houdini
forces me to cd to the path where hip file exist so the relative otl
path can resolve properly. When I render from the path where the ifd is
(which is logical for me) I've got an error because it doesn't find the
otl path.

This said I've made several test and I've discovered the following.

1- If I write an env var in a texture or render output file the variable
is expanded to the full path in the ifd file.
2- If I surround this env var with quote like this '$PROJECT'/render/etc
it keep it to '$PROJECT'/render/etc in the ifd file
3- If I surround this env var with quote AND I write an other env var
NOT IN QUOTE elsewhere in the path like this '$PROJECT'/$REN/etc it
converts to $PROJECT/render/etc in the ifd. That the trick I've found to
at least solve the issue for textures path. I think it's a bug that I
have to do that to force the removing of the quotes.

In the end I'm still not able to do the same with otl path. I've also
tried to do it directly in the hip file but it seems to be a hybrid
format of binary and ascii and it doesn't work.

Unless someone has a solution I'll parse all of them with sed in batch
but it would be great for rendering outsourcing when you want the same
ifd file to be compatible with different environments.

François