[Sidefx-houdini-list] OTL available only in one file

François Duchesneau sidefx at trinix.ca
Fri Feb 8 10:22:57 EST 2008

Hi all, I want to install a shader that I refer to with a project
variable like this: $PROJECT/shaders/oneShotShader.otl

Since I don't want to see that shader in every new hip file when I press
tab..., I install it only inside the file that it's been designed for
with "Current HIP File Only". So far so good but when comes the time to
generate an ifd file, the shader loses the environment variable and
replace it with the full expanded path.

The file is therefore not portable and since I work remotely this is a
problem for me.

I had the same issue with the path where I render the image but I solved
it by surrounding the variable with single quote to avoid var expansion
like this '$PROJECT'/render/theImage.tif

If I read the doc it's written I can embed the shaders inside the file
with the option "Force VEX Shader Embedding" but I don't find it clean
especially if my shader is heavy.

Any clues on that?

François