[Sidefx-houdini-list] DOPs hardware?

Mark Alexander malexander at sidefx.com
Wed Feb 6 12:36:05 EST 2008

 > Nvidia to Acquire AGEIA

I think that Nvidia bought AGEIA mainly to grab their Physics API, which
game developers have already used and tested (Intel bought Havok and
their API a few months back).

Secondly, it knocks AGEIA off as a competitor - and Nvidia & ATI have
frequently stated that their GPUs are more than capable of doing physics
(marketing hype or reality? don't know, probably somewhere in between).

I think the distant third reason is to acquire their physics hardware. I
suspect they'll take some features from AGEIA's HW designs, but in the
end they'll probably be absorbed into Nvidia's GPU rather than be tacked
on as a separate chip on the card.

If that is the case, then hopefully this will improve the performance or
remove some limitations of GPGPU on Nvidia's cards, which then might be
usable for DOPs. A gaming API probably won't cut it for that purpose.

Just my opinion, of course.

M.