[Sidefx-houdini-list] auto gen shadows

Andrew D Lyons tstexture at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 18:39:33 EST 2008

Many people wish that ROPs were global overrides. Instead they are
overriden by any settings on obj level nodes when SOHO walks the
override path. This makes no sense to me. In practice I don't see
anyone ever wanting to apply a material to an entire render at a ROP
except to override materials that were set at obj level. ie putting a
matte shader on a rop to quickly render a matte pass.  I know others
(jiversen) posted about this being desirable behavior in the 9.0 alpha
forum. We have done some custom SOHO hacking to get ROP level
overrides, but in my mind it was a topic of contention on the alpha
list that didn't get the mileage it deserved. This behavior should be
default IMHO.

Cheers