[Sidefx-houdini-list] [HOM] How to manage object creation and garbage collection manually in a PythonSOP?

Andras Ikladi andras.ikladi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 05:15:12 EST 2008

Hey,

Yet another HOM/PythonSOP related question.

I'm getting into creating  another operator now (again for a personal fiddle
project) and it's all great, except one thing.
Basically what I want is to create a class that is initialized at some point
(and maybe updated based on user request),
and I want to avoid this object to be recreated on each cook.

Is there any way to separate initialization code from cook code somehow like
in HDK?
Or should I fork a separate thread feeding my Houdini session? Is that
possible with the current Python binding?

What would be the proper way of doing this? A quick example would be
welcome.

Thanks,
Andras