[Sidefx-houdini-list] Packaging and developing shaders

Andy Nicholas andy at andynicholas.com
Sun Dec 21 15:33:51 EST 2008

Hi Pablo,
So the downside to using the VOP VEX Surface SHOP is waiting a short
amount of time for it to compile? Is that right? If so, then I can live
with that. The added amount of flexibility that it gives being able to
jump into it and modify it is great.

For me, I think some of this stuff needs a slight rework to make it easier
for artists (as opposed to TDs) to work with. The galleries provide a
wealth of materials to the artist, but how often does an artist want to
use a shader in its original form? For example, lets say that the artist
wants to use the "Basic Surface" material preset as the lighting model. If
they then want to use a fractal noise to drive the opacity, or say a color
map to drive the specular roughness, then there's no way to hook that up
without diving into the inner workings of the shader.

If it's a complex shader, then this might not be an easy thing to do, even
if the artist is technically able. There's also the question of whether
it's an appropriate thing to do anyway, with regards to maintaining a
consistent pipeline. You wouldn't want to have to maintain 10 different
versions of a basic shader so that it could support all the different
texture types driving the parameters.

Stuff like SOPs works well, since an artist can string together VOP based
tools and not worry about the internal workings. In that case you've got a
good logical separation and encapsulation while still allowing the artist
to experiment, but the SHOPs/Material system doesn't seem to have that. I
guess it's easy enough to encapsulate some VOP SHOP types and allow the
artist to fiddle around in there, but the logical separation is still not
very distinct. It's also a pain in the backside to have to keep on messing
around with the parameter layout in the SHOP output to get the GUI looking
okay, especially with shaders that have a lot of parameters.

Anyway, galleries seem to solve my current needs, and since it's just me
working with Houdini at The Mill it's not a major issue at the moment. I'm
just thinking ahead for situations where I might possibly want to get a
few of the XSI or Maya guys helping me out on a project.

Thanks for your thoughts Pablo. Have a good Christmas.

Andy