[Sidefx-houdini-list] Packaging and developing shaders

Robert Magee rmagee at sidefx.com
Thu Dec 18 16:11:46 EST 2008

The method used for the current gallery in Houdini is:

- use VOP VEX SURFACE SHOP to create a shop that has a VOP network
inside it. Parameter nodes get promoted automatically to the shop
level and the vopnetwork is unique to this shader. this means that it
does not create a vop type and only exists inside this subnetwork.
- opengl tab is linked to appropriate parameters from shop
-The SHOP is then collapsed into a subnet which turns it into a
material node. Then either RMB on material and choose "Promote
Material Parameter" or use the Edit Parameter interface to build your
own UI.
- materials can then be put into the gallery. You can even put
different versions of the same material into the gallery with
different parameter settings to create unique looks.
- the galleries can be installed by other users into their houdini
material palette and then assigned to objects or material sops.

- by using materials you can also take advantage of the local
parameter overrides which let you assign one material to different
parts of your scene then use local parameter values (such as a texture
reference) to get a unique look for each object.

- when you place a material from the gallery into your scene, the
instance does not retain a link to the gallery item. This leaves you
free to dive down and change the vop network without changing the
material in the gallery.
- If the gallery being referenced is updated with new materials or
with materials with different "inner" workings, the gallery will give
you access to the new ones BUT any materials already placed into a hip
file will NOT be updated because there is no dependency.

If you want to link to a collection of materials that can be updated
globally then turn your materials into digital assets and place them
into an .otl file. When these shops which all have unique types
(gallery items are all "material" types) then they will retain a link
to the .otl definitions and using digital asset technology you can
update the gallery and all hip files that reference those .otl files
will be updated accordingly.

By using this method, if you put down more than one version of a
material asset the vop networks inside them are not trying to create
vop types - in the past embedded vopnets would create multiple
instances of voptypes making things a bit unwieldy - the new setup
gives you more freedom both at the front end creating materials and at
the back end managing them as digital assets.

One thing that might confuse is that materials live in SHOPs. They are
basically subnetworks that have special properties. You can use shops
to build materials or other materials to build new materials....

Hope this helps.

Robert

PS - I DO know that we need tutorials on all this and promise that it
is on the list......