[Sidefx-houdini-list] Mantra ROP Preset

Robert D.M. Smith robert.dm.smith at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 11:24:20 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 7:37 PM, robert east <east.robert at gmail.com> wrote:

>              With the Mantra ROP I know you can save settings as a named
> preset. Is there a good workflow I can use so that my ROP presets can be
> collected and rolled out  to be  picked up by any Mantra ROP on a network
> ?.
> Or is there another workflow I should use to create a new version of a
> mantra ROP without having to build a otl from scratch.
> I did think creating a preset would maybe create a text file that I could
> grab. Currently I have saved my preset to $HIP but I have been unable to
> locate the desired information.

Sorry ... I 'm a little confused on this thread:

Is the original concern with presets the fact that it involves 2 steps:
laying down mantra ROP then applying a preset to it?

What is the advantage of using galleries? Sure, you can drag n drop from the
gallery manager but to me, it still involves a few mouse clicks. And
accessing the gallery from under the gear is still like accessing a preset.
Maybe I'm not understanding all this (or just haven't had enough coffee).

BTW. how can you save a preset to $HIP? When I save the preset, it only
gives me the choice $HOME/houdini9.5 (saved to
$HOME/houdini9.5/presets/Drivers/ifd.idx for mantra ROP). Is there a
variable to set to expand the list of choices?

Cheers,
    Rob