[Sidefx-houdini-list] Material prefixes on parameter names question

Robert Magee rmagee at sidefx.com
Mon Dec 15 09:54:09 EST 2008

Since the parameters at the material level are referencing channels
inside the material then the parameters can have any name you want and
it will work fine. The parameters could have been called tipColor and
everything would be fine since hair_tipColor is simply referencing a
tipColor parameter on the shader inside the material.

If you turn a SHOP into a material by putting it into a subnet then
RMB-click on the material and choose Promote Material parameters then
the names will not have prefixes. For the hair material, someone
probably used the edit parameter interface to give them more
flexibility organizing the look of the material's ui and ended up
adding the prefixes.

Robert