[Sidefx-houdini-list] Material prefixes on parameter names question

Phil Spicer PSpicer at bournemouth.ac.uk
Mon Dec 15 06:08:08 EST 2008

Hi,

Why do material parameter names have a material prefix assigned to them?

For example, if I wanted to modify a hair material Tip Color parameter on a per hair basis, I have to create a attribute called tipColor (the internal shader parameter name) using and Attribute Create SOP; yet when I hold the mouse over the hair material parameter listing, the internal name is returned as hair_tipColor, which doesn't work as a parameter override name.

Isn't this incongruous to how the rest of Houdini works, and an additional layer of complexity for new users?

Kind regards,

Phil.

The UK's no. 1 new university
The Guardian University Guide 2009