[Sidefx-houdini-list] OpenCL

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 09:25:10 EST 2008

Thi is rat and an step forward in the world of parallel computing.
But my feeling is that GPU will disappear in the next years, not really
disappear, they will be included into regulra CPUs, and the nnext generation
CPUs will substitute GPU.
Apple adopting leanguages like OpenCL for a comodoty software as a SSOO is
is a fact that demonstrate that highend computing will be used in a large
number of applications.
Hopefully OpenCL will be the OpenGL of the future and will be common API for
parallel computing, if this is so hopefully Side FX will plan to begin to
use it into Houdini as the foundation of the parallelism of the tool.
And about the adopt of OpenCL into the Mac I am really wating for this,
finally we will have a Mac using all the power it has ...

2008/12/12 Andrew D Lyons <tstexture at gmail.com>

> Check this out:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/09/opencl_1_released/
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCL
>
> http://www.khronos.org/news/press/releases/the_khronos_group_releases_opencl_1.0_specification/
>
> This would detract from the need for dedicated dynamics hardware like
> PhysX...
>
> Cheers

Un saludo
Best Regards