[Sidefx-houdini-list] copy a changed otl

Robert Magee rmagee at sidefx.com
Wed Dec 10 17:15:23 EST 2008

Currently your hip file is referencing an .otl file with an asset
definition in it. The asset is instanced in your scene and referencing
the .otl when you load the hip file. When you open the asset in your
scene and don't save it to disk then you have broken that connection.
You could then save to the old otl file (but that might break other
shots) or save it into a new .otl file but with the same name. this is
the branching that is being discussed.

You can load as many .otl files to your hip file as you want that
contain the same asset definition. The asset in your scene can only
use one of them and will choose based on rules set up in the Operator
Type Manager. Or you can use the Operator Type Manager to view all
the .otls loaded in your current scene. The green one is being used
the others are not. RMB-click on one of the red ones and choose "Use
Definition" and it will be used in place of the old one.

Robert

On 10-Dec-08, at 5:02 PM, Michael K. O'Brien wrote:

> Hola~
>
> I'm a bit naive here on what you mean by branch. Is that a copy, or
> is there
> some way to brach in the source-code meaning of branch?
>
> And yes, if we knew this was going to need to be in a bunch of
> shots, we would
> have made a copy first.
>
> MO
>
>> -- On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 01:53:12PM -0800, Andrew D Lyons wrote:
>> Yep - like the others said.
>>
>> It's best to branch first if you are about to crack an otl open and
>> start making changes. As long as it is unlocked and saved in the
>> hipfile - you are good - but if you somehow revert to definition -
>> all
>> yur work is gone from that otl. Pray that you have an unlocked
>> version
>> in a hipfile somewhere.
>>
>> If you have not branched prior to editing, and you want to
>> retrospectively branch the modified hda while it is unlocked, you can
>> do that from the top field of the Type Properties UI.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> 2008/12/10 Gene Dreitser <keyframe at rogers.com>:
>>> Another approach is to have a directory oriented order of
>>> preference.
>>>
>>> Using HOUDINI_OTL_PATH set the order of overrides as you see fit.
>>>
>>> $HH;$Shopwide;$Show;$Sequence;$Shot
>>>
>>> When you want a shot specific override, simply copy if from it's
>>> starting location (say, in shopwide otls), to it's override
>>> location (say, shot specific).  modify, save, enjoy.

>>> 2- in the shots you want to have this new version, use the manager