[Sidefx-houdini-list] Problems with Merge's performances

Jeff Wagner jeff at sidefx.com
Mon Dec 1 07:28:14 EST 2008

I wonder if both inputs have the same number of attributes present? If
not the Merge SOP may be initializing attributes on some of the input
geometry. That may be marking the second input dirty and forcing it to
cook. If this is the case try initializing the missing attributes
yourself to see if that fixes the problem. Either that or remove the
needless attributes that result from the Particle System. Just make sure
the two inputs have the same attributes present. Why the first input
doesn't cook is probably the first input being optimized.

The best approach is to make sure the same attributes exist on all
inputs in to the Merge SOP then see if the upstream SOPs continue to
cook needlessly.
The second best approach if the first isn't feasible (data memory sizes,
speed hits, etc.) is to not use the Merge SOP but to extract the one
network leaf to a new object and be done with it. It's a trivial step
with the shelf these days.

-jeff