[Sidefx-houdini-list] 3Delight and mplay

Mark Elendt mark at sidefx.com
Wed Aug 27 20:16:43 EDT 2008

On Thursday Aug 28 at 10:02, Rangi Sutton wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> The odwiki page discussing 3Delight setup for houdini:
>
> http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/3DelightSetup
>
> Says "Houdini comes with a 'houdini' display driver that can be used
> with 3Delight. This display driver is installed using the proto_install
> Houdini command.".
>
> I get rainbow randomness with a hint of the image appearing in mplay
> when I try this under linux with h9.5 and 3delight7.0. Has anyone had
> success with this? What versions of the apps were you using? Any special
> quantising settings or anything like that?

With H9.5 we link against the prman14 libraries.  Pixar changed the
way the SDK quite drastically (especially on Windows) for prman14, so
it's possible that it might not work 100% with 3Delight.

Or, it might be an issue with quantization.  You might try rendering
8-bit, 16-bit integer, and also floating point images to see if its a
quantization issue.  Does 3Delight have the equivalent of "sho" which
will go through the framebuffer device?

Alternatively, you might try grabbing an older version of Houdini and
extracting the d_houdini.so driver from there and seeing if you have
better luck with 3Delight...

Please make sure to update the wiki with your findings :-)

--
Please visit http://www.healemru.com/