[Sidefx-houdini-list] Siggraph 2008

Antoine Durr antoine at floqfx.com
Thu Aug 14 01:17:25 EDT 2008

Hmm, I'm seeing some pretty cool new hardware out there.  The HP
DreamColor display, 10 bits/channel, great brightness and saturation,
probably better than any CRT... being driven by the not-quite-
released Quadro FX 5800 (which can do it in stereo if only the
monitor could).   Across the way in the PNY booth is Iridas, showing
Framecycler/SpeedgradeDI running realtime multiple stereo streams
from sequential image files or any of the new crop of high res video
cameras (e.g. Red, Arri D21, etc); over in the ATI booth is a little
app called Mach Studio that does some pretty cool realtime scene
lighting.  The latest crop of 3D printers are pretty neat, some doing
color, some doing ABS plastic to a tolerance of 6 thousandths of an
inch with almost no shrinkage, other 3D printer vendors with a
deliberate supporting of the artist community.  Several vendors of
overpriced 360-degree cameras (think Google Streetview camera but set
up to do an HDR capture).

-- Antoine